With the players’ dads in the building with them, the Wings were hoping to turn around their misfortunes as of late and deliver them a win. Unfortunately, the Blackhawks second line showed up big time this afternoon, extending the Wings’ losing streak to three games in a 5-2 victory.
- The Wings actually played a decent game, putting up 45 shots on Cam Ward. It’s the third highest shooting game of their season.
- Unfortunately, the defense looked awful today. Niklas Kronwall got burned on the game’s first goal and Ericsson/Cholowski were burned later in the game.
It's a young man's game. pic.twitter.com/5nmonex08A
— Nick (@nickseguin19) February 10, 2019
- Christoffer Ehn scored his 2nd of the season on a beautiful snipe shot from the top of the circle.
- The Blackhawks second line of Dylan Strome, Alex Debrincat, and Dominik Kahun just decimated the Wings today. Each of them put up three points as they contributed the Hawks’ first three goals, the last one being the game winner.
- Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews didn’t sit quietly, adding the final two goals of the game in the 5-2 victory.
This was a tough loss for the Red Wings. Cam Ward is not good and they should have beat up on him a little more. Yes, they took a lot of shots, but the quality of their shots was far from ideal. As for the Wings goaltending, anytime I watch Jonathan Bernier play, I get more and more anxious about the team moving Jimmy Howard at the trade deadline. The games would be far worse and the team would lose a lot more.
Speaking of losing more, with the New Jersey Devils victory today, the Wings will officially go to bed as the second last place team in the NHL. If tanking is your thing, you’re a happy camper today as the odds of landing the 1st overall pick increase.