Yeah, it’s late in the season. And yeah, we’ve been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. And yeah, most of our players are injured. That’s what makes these wins so much more fun. They may not be out-playing their opponents, but the fact that they are scoring goals and securing wins makes for a fun stretch of games. They continued that tonight with their second win in a row. It was over the New York Rangers and the score was 3-2.
- I actually felt like the Wings were out-played tonight. They were out-shot 43-30 and out-attempted 61-40. So yeah, not great.
- But Jimmy Howard continued his iron man streak at Madison Square Garden. For some reason, he just owns this building. He’s now 4-2-1 with a .953 SV% in the New York Rangers home building.
- Red Wings recent NCAA free agent signing Taro Hirose made his NHL debut tonight and played 13:01 minutes of ice time. He played a surprisingly good game and even recorded an assist.
— e-Nick (@nickseguin19) March 19, 2019
- Andreas Athanasiou also added a goal, tying Dylan Larkin for the most of the team with 27. The Red Wings haven’t had a 30-goal scorer since 2009 and they now have the potential to have two. It would be a huge positive in a largely negative season.
— e-Nick (@nickseguin19) March 20, 2019
- The Rangers added a late goal when Ryan Strome finally beat Howard on a power play. They couldn’t build any more momentum than that, though.
- Athanasiou scored a second goal, an empty-netter, in the final minute. He almost scored a hat trick, too! He’s now at 28 goals.
I don’t really have much to add here. It was kind of a boring game overall, but nice to see the team get a win.