The Detroit Red Wings traveled to Sunrise, Florida, on Sunday for the second half of a back to back, as they lost to the Florida Panthers 6-1.
- About seven minutes into the first period, Josh Brown scored his first NHL goal with a wrister in the high slot that beat Jimmy Howard over the glove hand.
- Less than three minutes later, the Panthers took advantage of a Madison Bowey penalty, as Jamie McGinn put in a juicy rebound to put Florida up 2-0.
- About halfway through the second period, the Panthers continued to add to their lead, as Frank Vatrano deflected Aaron Ekblad‘s point shot to go up 3-0.
- Thomas Vanek finally got the Red Wings on the scoreboard on the power play, off a nice pass from Frans Nielsen.
— Detroit Red Wings (@DetroitRedWings) March 10, 2019
- Just in case the Red Wings thought they had any chance of getting back into this game, the Panthers scored twice in the first three minutes of the third period. Jonathan Huberdeau scored on the power play and Dryden Hunt scored his first NHL goal.
- Aleksander Barkov scored his 30th goal to make it 6-1 — a quick snapshot at the right faceoff circle.
Without Dylan Larkin and Mike Green, this team is in all sorts of disarray. Howard — or in the case of last night, Jonathan Bernier — has to stand on his head night after night to give this team any shot of winning, which if you’re team #LoseForHughes, then this is exactly what you want to see. The Red Wings allowed 71 shot attempts and 43 shots, the defense did Howard no favors today.
However, the Ottawa Senators — six points behind the Red Wings — continue to drop games, as well, so it’s going to be hard to secure that last-place finish.