The Red Wings dropped their first game of the fathers/mentors road trip in a not so thrilling fashion, losing 3-1 to Buffalo. Turnovers and a stellar Buffalo penalty kill told the story of today’s game, with Evan Rodrigues spearheading the penalty killing effort for Buffalo. The Wings will have to forget this game quickly as they have a 3 pm game against Chicago on Sunday, to complete the second half of their back to back.
- The first period was scoreless between the two teams but the Wings led 12-4 in shots on goal.
- Dylan Larkin scored the only Wings goal of the game and he tied his career high in goals with 23.
— NHL GIFs (@NHLGIFs) February 9, 2019
- With an assist on the Larkin goal, Thomas Vanek has 9 points in his last 8 games.
- The Sabres scored their three goals in the 2nd period, which has been the Wings worst period this season.
- Buffalo’s 2nd goal was a funny one for Casey Mittelstadt, who had his pass ricochet off of Danny DeKeyser’s foot and in.
- Sabres rookie defenseman Rasmus Dahlin was another Sabre who made a standout impression this game. Dahlin quite simply makes plays that most other defensemen can’t.
- The Wings had a couple of opportunities to score on the power-play in the third period but failed to convert.
This game started out promising but took a turn for the worse and the Wings couldn’t recover. Michael Rasmussen continued to show signs of improvement in his second game back from the conditioning stint in Grand Rapids, maybe it had something to do with his father’s in-game interview with Trevor Thompson.